Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Lauren Elizabeth


Lauren is our smarty pants, do a little dance, computer using, outdoor loving, kindergarten going five year old.

I can't believe this when I think back on it, but Lauren was successfully using the computer at 2.5 years old. I can clearly remember her sitting at our dining room table in Fairfield and playing on the computer, using the mouse and everything. Now maybe this was because I was taking care of a newborn and needed to find an activity for her or maybe it is because she is a "smarty pants" but when I think about Kathryn using the computer it makes me a little nervous.

Lauren is quiet and reserved when out in a social setting, but do not be fooled...she is taking it all in and she will question me incesentantly when we are alone about things she observed. She has an unbelievable memory...just this morning she told me that she remembered what color our old house was...white....and that she remembered what color the flowers were in the backyard...red!!! I honestly do not know how she remembered this, we moved out of that house a few weeks after her 3rd Birthday, that was two years ago! I had not recently talked about that house or shown her pictures so this is just something she remembered. She has been enjoying socializing with her peers this year and gets excited to see them when we are out and about; it is neat to watch her grow from someone who was literally "stuck to our legs" into someone who will walk up to a classmate and start talking and playing. She LOVES to invite anyone and everyone over to our house to PLAY, she doesn't really get that she should ask me first. She also doesn't understand that she needs to be invited over to someones house, which can make for some awkward situations.

Lauren is a perfectionist when it comes to the detail of her work....if she is writing or coloring and something goes awry she gets upset and feels like she needs to start over. Unfortunately, her need for perfection ends with her work...she is not a (how do I say this nicely) neat person...that is where Kathryn comes into play. Lauren is extremely helpful when it comes to caring for her siblings...she likes to tell me what Kathryn needs and is great at getting herself and Kathryn snacks. She sometimes even prepares Kathryn's favorite breakfast for her (yogurt and blueberries). She loves to hold John, pick him up and carry him around. The other day I was cleaning in the kitchen and John bumped his head and started crying, Lauren immediately scooped him up on her lap and started hugging him and telling him "it's okay".

Watching your child grow up is such an amazing and wonderful journey. I could have never imagined the young girl that Lauren has turned into. I remember holding her as an infant and wondering what the future would hold for her...now I look at her as a little girl and I try to imagine what it will be like and feel like to have a child who is driving, going off to college, falling in love, getting married and having kids of her own...it brings a smile to my face and tears to my eyes.





No comments:

Post a Comment